Device Evaluation Process and Deployment Schedule
Lewisville ISD’s 1:X Initiative—the district’s technology device program—provides students and teachers the tools to access, create, share and collaborate as digital citizens. It is a reflection of the district’s commitment to provide all students with a personalized learning experience.
Since the program launched during the 2012-2013 school year, the district has continually evaluated current market trends for the best device available that meets the needs of its teachers and students. Anticipating the need to replace aging electronic devices, the district established the following multi-phase device evaluation process.
Phase One | Video Overview
In June of 2016, LISD established evaluation teams, which included teachers from all grade levels and various subjects from across the district. During a four-day period, evaluation teams had the opportunity to hear presentations from Apple, Google and Microsoft. Each presentation focused on they company’s K-12 hardware and software solutions. Then, teachers had the opportunity to physically evaluate devices from each company and score them to help determine the preferred hardware for each grade level: PreK-3; 4-5; 6-8; and 9-12.
- In preparation for Facilities Advisory Committee (FAC) Meetings in Fall of 2016, district administration presented and discussed the evaluation teams’ recommendations with the LISD Board of Trustees at a September 2016 Board Workshop. The Board requested the district to develop options and present them to the FAC for feedback
- After the district presented options about reducing the 1:X program, keeping it the same, or expanding it to the FAC, the FAC’s consensus was to keep the 1:X program the same for grades 4-12—a decision that helped establish the recommended budget for the district to refresh its 1:X devices in the 2017 Bond.
- After a successful Bond election in May 2017, the district was able to prepare for phase two of its device evaluation process
Phase Two | Video Overview
Teachers from Phase One evaluation teams were asked to have their students use their recommended devices. In total, 19 teachers from 15 campuses and 464 students from across the district participated in testing various devices in two-week period rotations. After each rotation, students, teachers and parents completed surveys to provide feedback.
Phase Two Devices Tested:
- Apple iPad 9.7, Logitech keyboard and case
- Apple iPad Pro 10.5 with an integrated Apple Keyboard and STM case
- Apple Macbook Air laptops (high school level only)
In addition to the rotation surveys, a districtwide grade level/department survey was created and sent to all LISD campus employees.
Survey data was collected and analyzed by LISD’s Digital Learning, Technology and Assessment Departments, Leadership Team and Board of Trustees. The district received consistent feedback from students, parents and teachers that iPads are most usable with a physical keyboard.
After successfully piloting iPads with an integrated keyboard, district administration presented a recommendation to the Board at the March 2018 Board Meeting—a plan to replace current 1:X iPads over a two-year period.
New iPad Deployment Schedule
2018-2019 School Year
- Aug. 24 - Oct. 26, 2018 | Students in grades 4-5 and grades 9-12 will be eligible to receive a new iPad Pro 10.5 with an integrated keyboard, and protected with a ruggedized case (also tested during the evaluation process).
- Oct. 30 - Nov. 16, 2018 | The district will distribute repurposed iPad Airs (without keyboards) to 6-8 graders who opt to participate in the 1:X program
- If 6-8 graders currently have an iPad Air, they will be issued a different iPad Air to ensure their device has the most current operating system, a durable STM case and configured with the district’s new Mobile Device Management Software.
- The district will provide 7 iPads Airs (without keyboards) to serve as a class set for PK-3 grades
2019-2020 School Year
- Sept. 3 - Sept 20, 2019 | Students new to grades 4 will be eligible to receive a 10.5 iPad Air or Pro with an integrated keyboard, and protected with a ruggedized case (also tested during the evaluation process).
- Sept. 16 - Oct. 11, 2019 | The district will distribute new iPad Air 10.5 devices to 7-9 graders who opt to participate in the 1:X program
- The district will provide 7 9.7 iPad Airs with keyboards to serve as a class set for PK-3 grades