Texas Educational Code (TEC) 28.0251 provides for a school district to issue a high school diploma to certain veterans. An eligible applicant is one who:
• is or was an honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States
• was scheduled to graduate from high school after 1940 and before 1951
• left high school before graduation to serve in World War II
Here in Lewisville ISD, the veteran must:
• Have attended Lewisville High School, and
• It is feasible that the student would have received a diploma between the beginning of the calendar year 1941 and the conclusion of the calendar year 1950
A veteran or person acting on behalf of a deceased veteran should use the following form to request a high school diploma. The completed form and required documentation must be submitted to Lewisville ISD. This form is available below or at the Department of Communications, 1800 Timber Creek Road in Flower Mound.
The application must be accompanied by a veteran’s discharge notice (DD 214, Enlisted Record and Report of Separation form, or Discharge Certification) from the branch of the armed forces indicating dates of military service during World War II.
The application and supporting evidence should be submitted to the district’s Department of Communications.
The mailing address for the department is:
LISD Communications Office
P.O. Box 217
Lewisville, TX 75067
The fax number is 972-355-2744.
The District will deny processing of applications in any or all of the following circumstances:
• The application is not submitted on the state-approved form
• The application is not completed, signed, and dated
• The application lacks credible discharge information
• The application cannot be substantiated as applying to a former student for whom the district would have jurisdiction to issue a diploma
• The application does not represent a veteran that attended during the eligible time period under 28.0251 and/or would be projected to have graduated during the eligible time frame
• The application is for a deceased veteran for whom the applicant provides no credible documentation to verify the soldier’s death
• The application is for an incapacitated veteran for whom the applicant provides no verification of authority to act on the veteran’s behalf
• The veteran’s last high school of attendance was not in the Lewisville ISD or other eligible affiliate school
In instances where suitable documentation is required, the district reserves the right to determine the appropriateness of the information in regard to processing the application.
All diplomas issued under Section 28.0251 will be from Lewisville High School.
Please contact the Texas Education Agency’s (TEA) Office of Continuing Education and School Improvement at 512-463-8532 if you have questions about this application.
For more information about military records and how to order them, please contact:
National Personnel Records Center
9700 Page Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100