2023 - 2024 LISD Texas Reading Academies Cohorts
(For questions contact Amy Teddy at email@example.com)
How do I know if I need to enroll??
If you are teaching K-3 in 2023-2024 and have not yet completed the Texas Reading Academies, you will need to enroll in the 2023-2024 LISD Cohorts.
The following positions will need to enroll:
- 1st Year Teachers for 2023-2024
- Teachers new to Texas with out of state certifications
- Teachers moving into K-3 positions that previously taught other grade levels
- New Elementary Principals
How do I register??
To enroll, please complete the Survey to register for training.
- You will automatically be enrolled in the August Cohorts.
When do I attend training??
Trainings will be held in person throughout the school year, starting in August 2023 and finishing in June 2024.
We will have one Saturday session and one session in June after school is out.
Once you register, you will receive an email with the dates of each training session and more about the course expectations.
*Reminders will be sent to your LISD email with time and location.
We look forward to working with you!
LISD Reading Academy Team
Texas Reading Academies
HB 3, passed by the Texas Legislature in June 2019, requires all kindergarten through third grade teachers and administrators to participate in the Texas Reading Academies by 2023. Lewisville ISD believes in a balanced approach to literacy instruction. Therefore, we will support staff by offering Reading Academies to LISD Staff through local implementation. The following teacher positions are required to complete the TX Reading Academies in LISD:
- Kinder teachers
- 1st grade teachers
- 2nd grade teachers
- 3rd grade teachers
- Dyslexia Interventionists
- Instructional Coaches/Facilitators
- Special Education Classroom Teachers (SDI, AA, ALS, BIC, Comm)
- Campus Administrators (Principal or Assistant Principal)
LISD Cohort Leaders will lead our cohorts to allow for personalization of training at district level.
Steeped in the Science of Teaching Reading (STR)
Texas Reading Academies Content includes:
- Introduction, Overview, Scope, and Sequence
- Science of Teaching Reading
- Handbook Only - Establishing a Literacy Community
- Using Assessment Data to Inform Instruction and Tiered Supports and Reading Difficulties
- Oral Language
- Phonological Awareness
- Alphabet Knowledge, Print Concepts, and Handwriting
- Decoding, Encoding, and Word Study
- Reading Fluency
- Reading Comprehension
- Bringing It All Together