Bring Your Own Technology (BYOT)
Bring Your Own Technology (BYOT) provides students the optional opportunity to use a technology device they prefer, to supplement the device they received from the district, or to meet other needs or preferences.
- BYOT is fully supported across all campuses (current for 2018-2019 school year).
- A student can bring in a personally owned device of any kind. This includes iPad, Android, smart phone, Chromebook, Windows or Mac laptop, etc.
- BYOT devices must use the District wireless network and not celluar data. This ensures the internet access on the device is filtered while at a LISD location.
- The use of a hot spot or configuring a personal device to function as a hot spot is not allowed.
- All internet traffic while connected to any LISD network is filtered, including BYOT.
- LISD is currently installing a new wireless infrastructure across the district. See the table below for specific details on how to connect on the old and new systems.
Students who participate in BYOT are expected to follow the LISD Acceptable Use Guidelines (AUP) as they pertain to access to inappropriate web sites, cyberbullying, the uploading of harmful files, etc.
If a student is utilizing a BYOT device that is not an iPad in lieu of accepting a District provided device, please make your student’s teachers aware so they can plan work accordingly. There are many great cross-platform Apps, resources, and web sites that are available for use on most types of devices.
Campuses with new wireless
- Contact your campus to determine if you have the new wireless system.
- Staff and students with LISD devices can connect to the "LISD" network with their username and password.
- Staff and students with personal devices can connect to the "LISD" network with their username and password.
- The "lisd-guest" network is for non-LISD staff and students and accounts must be created by campus sponsor.
- Non-LISD staff or students can connect to the "lisd-guest" network with campus sponsor created account.
Campuses with old wireless
- Personal devices use the "lisd-guest" wireless network. Once joined to the "lisd-guest" network, they will need to open a web browser to sign-on using their normal LISD username and password.
- Non-LISD staff or students can connect to the "lisd-guest" network with credentials given to them by campus staff.
Please note, for both wireless systems:
- Android 8 and higher will say no internet access, but internet access will be accessible.
- After connecting with a personal device, install the LISD certificate for your device using the instructions found at http://cert.lisd.net.