Student Data Privacy
The Lewisville Independent School District values the privacy of its students and employees. Data is a valuable commodity, and institutions must remain vigilant to protect the privacy of data entrusted to them. LISD is committed to taking the steps necessary to be a trusted caretaker of the personal information within its responsibility. Furthermore, the district encourages students, parents, and employees to become educated on the issue of data privacy and security.
What We Do
- Data Privacy and Cybersecurity has been a Technology Plan Focus
- Self Assessing (Trusted Learning Environment, NIST Cybersecurity Framework)
- Data Privacy Agreements executed with District adopted 3rd Party Resources
- Data Privacy and Cybersecurity Awareness Training for Staff
- Ongoing Monitoring of District and 3rd Party Vendor Cybersecurity Ratings
- Review and Vett App requests to be placed in the Elementary App StoreA
- Block Web Domains that do not compliance with LISD curricular framework and/or data governance standards
- Elementary and Secondary Support with reading Privacy Policies and Terms of Service
- Student Data Privacy Embedded in PL and Curriculum Training
- Digital Citizenship Required Course and Integrated Lessons
- Engaged With Privacy and Security Minded Groups and Organizations
Data Privacy Resources
- The U.S. Department of Education's new Student Privacy Website (https://studentprivacy.ed.gov/) provides valuable articles, videos, and training courses about the topic of data privacy and security in schools.
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- Ferpa Sherpa
- Common Sense Media - Privacy and Internet Safety
- Student Privacy Pledge
Trusted Learning Environment Seal Renewed!
1/11/2019 - The Trusted Learning Environment (TLE) Seal is a two-year distinction, and recipient districts must complete a rigorous reapplication process for continued recognition. Lewisville ISD has successfully renewed its TLE Seal through January 2021!
In September 2016, Lewisville ISD was one of only seven school systems nationwide, and the only in Texas, to receive the Trusted Learning Environment (TLE) Seal from CoSN, the national association for school system technology leaders. Through continued efforts in the area of data privacy, the District has successfully maintained its TLE Seal.
The Trusted Learning Environment (TLE) Seal is a mark of distinction for school systems, signaling that they have taken measurable steps to implement practices to help ensure the privacy of student data.