The Crisis and Response Express (CARE) team consist of approximately 40 counselors and psychologists from LISD who have received additional training for responding to schools that have a need for additional help when problems arise. Their role in crisis intervention is defined by the following:
- Respond to the demonstrated needs of students and staff in school.
- Priority is given to those who exhibit atypical behavior or emotions and are identified as “High Risk”. This would include close friends, family members, etc.
- Make referrals for those students or staff members who the Team deems need extra attention that has not been identified previously.
- Assist the School Crisis Team as needed, i.e., preparing letters and announcements, talking with classes or parents.
- Enabling staff and students to return to day-to-day learning activities as soon as possible.