Programs & Services

  • Who is an Itinerant?

    The people who provide the following services are often referred to as Itinerant Staff because they travel from school to school to provide instructional and/or related services to eligible students.

    What is an instructional arrangement?

    The law (IDEA) states that each student must be provided an education in the Least Restrictive Environment (LRE) appropriate for the student and that the first consideration must be given to the general education classroom and curriculum. Special Education services and placements are based on identified student needs and not on categories of disability. LISD takes steps to ensure that the students with disabilities have available to them the variety of educational programs and services available to non-disabled students served by the district.  Instructional arrangement refers to the code used by the school district to document the instructional setting for attendance purposes. All students receiving special education services must have an instructional setting code. Students can only have one setting code. This setting code is often noted at the end of the individual education program (IEP). 

    What is an instructional service?

    A full continuum of instructional and related services is available to eligible students, with initial consideration given to the provision of services in the general education classroom to the greatest extent possible. Students spend varying amounts of time in general education and special education settings, depending upon their specific needs. Special education instructional services are available on every campus. Neighborhood campus services may include full-time placement in a general education classroom and/or pull-out services in a special education classroom. Services are individually determined for each student based on instructional environments that will ensure educational benefit.

    What is a related service?

    If your child is in special education, he or she may be eligible to receive therapy services through the school district. Related services include transportation and such developmental, corrective, and other supportive services as are required to assist a child with a disability to benefit from special education.