What is the LISD Discovery Academy?
The LISD Discovery Academy at Hebron Valley, Heritage, Liberty, and Valley Ridge Elementary is an exclusive Preschool program in Lewisville ISD. Discovery Academy classes are extended day, tuition-based PreK classes taught by a certified teacher and a paraprofessional utilizing LISD curriculum based on Texas PreK Guidelines. Enrollment priority is given to tuition paying students living within the Discovery Academy's designated school zone. Tuition paying children wishing to enroll, who live outside of the academy school zone, may also apply. The ratio for each Discovery Academy class is 11:1 during instructional class hours, 7:45-3:00, with one certified teacher and one paraprofessional for up to 22 students. To experience this program, students are required to first submit an application.
What will my child learn in the Discovery Academy?
All Discovery Academy classes follow the LISD PreK curriculum, which is developed by certified PreK teachers and is based on the Texas PreK Guidelines, written for three and four year olds and aligned to the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS). The PreK Guidelines include emphasis on language and literacy, mathematics, science, social studies, technology, music, art, creative dramatics, health, safety, physical, emotional and social development. Discovery Academy students also experience a STEM enriched curriculum designed specifically for prekindergarten students and taught during a STEM enrichment class. Visit www.tea.state.tx.us for more details on the Texas PreK guidelines.
What can I expect to see when visiting a Discovery Academy class?
- Engaging learning experiences and age appropriate environments that nurture curiosity, collaborative, problem solving, communication, and cooperation.
- Large group and small group instruction that is aligned to Texas PreK guidelines and respect the developmental needs of young children.
- Interest centers, such as dramatic play, block building, stories and books, science and nature activities, art and music, sensory, and problem-solving activities that are clearly defined, organized for independent use by children, and designed to foster interaction and engage curious young learners.
- Computers and/or other technology such as iPads and Coding robots integrated throughout the day to foster computational thinking and creativity.
- A print rich environment with books and labels to promote language and literacy development.
- Student created work, both physical and digital examples, that show evidence of their process towards learning new skills.
- Math manipulatives to promote foundational number sense development via counting, comparison, patterning, and problem solving.
- Materials and areas to support intentional, age appropriate social-emotional development.
- Time in the daily schedule for recess, play, meals, nap, and snack.
Does Discovery Academy have a student handbook?
Yes, Refer to the LISD 2020-21 Discovery Academy Handbook HERE for more information about this unique prekindergarten program.
Will my child experience enrichment classes as a Discovery Academy student?
Yes, all LISD Discovery Academy students will have the unique opportunity to attend enrichment classes for STEM, art, music, and PE, each on a weekly basis.
How is Discovery Academy different from a typical PreK class?
There are three major differences between a Discovery Academy class and a typical PreK class:
- Discovery Academy classes will participate in an enrichment class every day during the school day, either STEM, art, music, or PE.
- Discovery Academy classes will have an extended day schedule from 6:50 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and extended school calendar by being open on every LISD teacher contract day, including teacher work days. The first day of school for Discovery Academy 2019-20 will be August 5,2019 and the last day of school will be May 21, 2020. The first day of school for Discovery Academy 2020-21 will be August 4, 2020 and the last day of school will be May 26, 2021.
- Discovery Academy is a tuition-based class.
What is the tuition cost for Discovery Academy?
Tuition pricing for the 2020-21 school year is 9 monthly payments (August to April) of $800 per month for children who do not qualify for prek. There is a reduced tuition rate for children who qualify for state funded prekindergarten. Tuition is due on the first day of every month. There is no reduced rate for families who do not wish to utilize the extended hours or days.
Are there registration fees for Discovery Academy?
Yes, all students are required to pay a $200 non-refundable enrollment fee ($100 credited towards the first month's tuition fee and $100 Registration Fee).
What is the tuition payment schedule for Discovery Academy?
Tuition payments should be paid monthly via online payments using Revtrac August through April. Tuition is due on the first of every month with 9 monthly payments (August to April). A $20 late fee will be charged if payment is not received by the 5th of the month. If a payment is more than ten days late, the child will be dropped from the class. Children of employees are required to use payroll deduction for tuition payments.
Are breakfast, lunch, and a snack provided?
Yes, for the 2019-20 school year, both breakfast and lunch are FREE for all Discovery Academy students thanks to a grant from the Texas Department of Agriculture. A late afternoon snack is also provided as part of the tuition fee. Those not wishing to take advantage of the free cafeteria meals are always welcome to send a breakfast and/or lunch from home. It is unknown if the grant for free meals will be available for the 2020-21 school year.
Which campuses in LISD have Discovery Academy?
- Hebron Valley Elementary - two classes
- Liberty Elementary - two classes
- Valley Ridge Elementary - one class
- Heritage Elementary - one class 2019-20; in 2020-21 they will have two class
What is the schedule for Discovery Academy?
Discovery Academy classes have an extended day schedule from 6:50 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and extended school calendar by being open on every LISD teacher contract day, including teacher work days. The 2019-20 first day of school for Discovery Academy will be August 5, 2019 and the last day of school is May 21, 2020. Because these classes are located on an Elementary Campus and operate on a school day schedule, it is important that Discovery Academy students arrive on or before the start of the campus-scheduled school day and are picked up on or after the school’s dismissal time. The elementary school day is 7:45 - 3:00. The first day of school for Discovery Academy 2020-21 will be August 4, 2020 and the last day of school will be May 26, 2021.
Do I have to fill out an application for the Discovery Academy?
Yes. Space for the Discovery Academy is limited. Parents must submit an application for the Discovery Academy and are invited to attend an informational meeting at the campus of their greatest interest. The 2020-21 Discovery Academy application window for new students is January 8 - February 14, 2020. Click here for application information.
When and where are the Discovery Academy Parent Information Meetings for 2020-21 enrollment?
- Liberty Elementary - January 14 at 5:00-6:00
- Hebron Valley Elementary - January 27 at 5:00 - 6:00
- Valley Ridge Elementary - January 28 at 5:00-6:00
- Heritage Elementary - February 4 at 5:00 - 6:00
- LISD Administration Center (Board Room; 1565 West Main St. Lewisville) - February 6 at 5:00-6:00
Who can apply to attend a Discovery Academy Preschool class?
Children ages three or four years old on or before Sept. 1 and who wish to pay tuition to attend full-day LISD PreK may apply. Limited space is available to children who qualify for state funded PreK and for children or grandchildren of LISD employees looking for a full day option. Current PreK feeder patterns will continue to be followed for students who qualify for state funded PreK. Children must also be fully toilet trained to participate.
How are students selected for a Discovery Academy class?
Students are selected based on a randomized selection process, giving priority first to students who live in the school zone that houses the respective Discovery Academy class.
The initial window for submitting a Discovery Academy application for the 2020-21 school year at Hebron Valley, Liberty, and Valley Ridge is January 8 - February 14, 2020. To be considered for initial selection, applications for 2020-21 are required to be submitted by February 14, 2020. If a child is not initially selected, they may still get a spot in a class. Additionally, the Discovery Academy application may re-open after the initial class selection process.
What do I do next if my child is selected for a Discovery Academy class?
Applicants who are selected will be notified by email. At which time, the parent should proceed with completing on-line LISD student enrollment, submitting their Discovery Academy Handbook Agreement to the Early Childhood office via email, and pay the non-refundable $200 registration fee via Revtrack online payments to secure their spot. The $200 Registration Fee and Discovery Academy Handbook Agreement must be received within 5 business days of parent notification of acceptance into the Discovery Academy in order to secure their child's spot in the class, otherwise the spot will be offered the next child on the waiting list. Click HERE to learn more about enrollment in PreK in LISD.
Is transportation provided for Discovery Academy?
No. Parents are responsible for transportation to and from the campus with Discovery Academy.
Is there a suggested supply list for Discovery Academy?
Yes, linked here is the generic suggested PreK Supply list, but each campus may have specific supply requests that they will communicate to families of enrolled Discovery Academy students.
Do children have a rest period in Discovery Academy?
Yes, children have a daily rest period. A nap mat is provided. Children can bring a blanket and/or small pillow from home.