The LISD Discovery Academy offers a distinctive learning environment designed to meet the developmental needs of young learners ages three and four. Students are provided with pre-academic teaching and experiences designed to help students flourish in their years before kindergarten. Students will attend enrichment classes for STEM, art, music, and PE on a weekly basis. All Discovery Academy classes follow the LISD Prekindergarten curriculum, which is developed by certified prekindergarten teachers and is based on Texas Prekindergarten Guidelines including an emphasis on language and literacy, mathematics, science, social studies, technology, music, art, creative dramatics, health, safety, physical, emotional and social development. See www.tea.state.tx.us for more details.
Refer to the LISD 2021-22 Discovery Academy Handbook HEREfor more information about this unique prekindergarten program.
WHO: Children who will be ages three and four as of Sept. 1 of the school year for enrollment. Priority enrollment will be given to children living within the designated school zone, however, students living outside of school zones may also apply. Limited space is available to children who qualify for state-funded PreK and for children or grandchildren of LISD employees looking for a full day option. Current PreK feeder patterns will continue to be followed for students who qualify for state-funded PreK. Children must also be fully toilet trained to participate, no frequent accidents, diapers or pull-ups. The ratio for each class is 11:1 during the instructional hours of the school day with one certified teacher and one paraprofessional for up to 22 students.
WHAT: For the 2021-22 school year; 9 monthly payments, August - April, of $800 per month; With a non-refundable registration fee of $200 ($100 is credited towards the first month's tuition fee and $100 is a non-refundable registration fee). Tuition is due on the first of every month. Students who are eligible for state funded PreK receive a reduced tuition rate.
WHEN: 6:50 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Because these classes are located on an Elementary Campus, it is important that Discovery Academy students arrive on or before the start of the campus-scheduled school day and are picked up on or after the school’s dismissal time.
Refer to the LISD 2021-22 Discovery Academy Handbook HERE for more information about this unique prekindergarten program.
When visiting a Discovery Academy class, expect to see:
- Interest centers, such as dramatic play, block building, stories and books, science and nature activities, art and music, sensory, and problem-solving activities that are clearly defined, organized for independent use by children and arranged so that children’s activities are visible to the teacher and paraprofessional.
- Engaging learning experiences and age-appropriate environments that nurture curiosity, collaboration, problem-solving, communication, and cooperation.
- A mixture of whole group, small group, and independent learning experiences.
- Computers and/or other technology such as iPads and Coding robots being employed to foster computational thinking and creativity.
- Interactive read alouds, books, and labels to promote language and literacy development.
- Math manipulatives to promote counting, comparison, and problem-solving.
- Materials and areas to support intentional, age-appropriate social-emotional development.
- Time in the daily schedule for recess, play, meals, nap, and snack.
Additional information: Children must be independent at toileting. No diapers or pull-ups are permitted, including at nap-time.