The Special Education Family Center is a program offered on Tuesday evenings during the school year, designed to provide additional support to special education eligible students and their families. Typical services include Family Counseling and Parent & Youth Resource Skills Training programs that are available on a limited basis and are provided free of charge to eligible families.
2020-2021 School Year. Due to COVID-19, the Special Education Family Center is currently able to offer virtual Family Counseling, utilizing a brief, solution-focused format of typically no more than six meeting times. Parent & Youth Resource Skills Training programs are not available at this time.
Families may be referred to the Special Education Family Center by any LISD ARD/IEP Committee member (e.g., special education counselor, campus diagnostician, or LSSP). Pre-registration for sessions is required.
Please contact Vera Salim at (469) 948-8536 or email@example.com
Held Virtually through WebEx 2020-2021 School Year
FOCUS will be held on Thursdays at 6:00 p.m. and end by 7:00 p.m.
The Lewisville ISD Special Education Department presents a series of five topics dedicated to assisting families of children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). FOCUS Night is open to families with children who receive Special Education services under the category of Autism and who reside within Lewisville ISD. These programs are designed to educate and support families of children with ASD. All programs are free of charge.
Please register online at https://tinyurl.com/y6r8khec by 4:00 p.m. the Tuesday prior to each Thursday program. You may also call our secretary, Vera Salim, at the Purnell Support Center at (469) 948-8536 to register. Please indicate if you have a need for an interpreter at the presentation and efforts will be made to obtain an interpreter. Every participant must be registered each month.
After registering, participants will be e-mailed a link the day before to attend the live virtual presentation through WebEX . Presentation participants will also be provided a link for a social skill activity caregivers can watch with their children at a time convenient for the family.
- Legal Framework for the Child-Centered Special Education Process
- Procedural Safeguards - English (July, 2020)
- Procedural Safeguards - Spanish (July, 2020)
- Parent's Guide to the ARD Process - English (July 2018)
- Parent's Guide to the ARD Process - Spanish (July 2018)
- Texas Parent Guide for Students with Disabilities
- Special Education Dispute Resolution Handbook
- Texas Project FIRST
- Parent Coordination Network
- Partners Resource Network
- Region 20 Standards-Based IEP Training (Free, must create log-in)
- US Department of Education
- Parent Resources by Region
- Know Your Rights - Brief Guide to the Notice of Procedural Safeguards