Family and Medical Leave Act
Employees who have been employed by the District for at least 12 months, and have worked at least 1,250 hours in the 12 months immediately preceding the need for leave are eligible for Family and Medical Leave. Eligible employees can take up to 12 work weeks of Family and Medical Leave. District policy requires the employee to use any accumulated paid days available. Following are the reasons that qualify for FMLA:
- The birth, adoption, or foster placement of a child.
- To care for a spouse, parent, or child with a serious health condition.
- An employee’s serious health condition.
- A qualifying exigency resulting from a family member’s call to active military duty who is a member of the Reserves, National Guard, or Retired Regular Armed Forces or Reserves.
- To care for a family member who is a current U.S. servicemember and becomes seriously ill or is injured in the line of duty while on active duty (also referred to as military caregiver leave.)