What does an elementary counselor do?
- School counselors serve ALL the students at a school and help them be their best
- Facilitating classroom "Life Skills" lessons aligned with state standards in each classroom
- Organizing school-wide service learning projects and special events as applications of our character education program
- Consulting with parents, teachers, and administrators
- Providing materials to teachers and parents on topics related to the guidance and counseling standards when needed
- Connecting families with school and community resources
- Talking with students who have a problem they'd like help solving or have something on their mind they'd like to talk about
- Visiting with students who could use care and support from an extra adult
- Counseling students in small groups built around shared needs like divorce/changing families, grief, anger management, ect.
- Counseling students individually
- Teaching social skills and coping skills
A Developmental Guidance Program provides services for all students through individual counseling, small group counseling, and classroom instruction.