Drive-Up Wi-Fi Access
LISD’s Technology Department has installed exterior Wi-Fi at select campuses to provide an area for students to access the internet. This “drive-up” approach will provide 24/7 Wi-Fi access available through any device. Families can park on campus and get connectivity while still observing social distancing initiatives. Students will need to log in with their LISD username and password to connect. For a list of locations and coverage maps, see below.
All data caps lifted for home internet customers.
New Comcast Internet Essentials customers will receive two free months of Internet service, which is available to all qualified low-income households (it is normally $9.95/month plus tax). Apply by April 30, 2020. All data caps lifted for home internet customers.
Spectrum (Charter Communications)
Charter will offer free Spectrum broadband and Wi-Fi access for 60 days to households with K-12 and/or college students who do not already have a Spectrum broadband subscription and at any service level up to 100 Mbps. Installation fees will be waived for new student households. All data caps lifted for home internet customers.
Apply by Phone: 1-844-488-8395
For households with K-12 and/or college students who may be displaced due to school closures and who do not currently have home internet access, Altice USA (SuddenLink) is offering the Altice Advantage 30 Mbps broadband solution for free for 60 days to any new customer household.
Apply by Phone: 1-888-633-0030
Mobile Phone Data Plans
- All current T-Mobile and Metro by T-Mobile customers have unlimited smartphone data for the next 60 days (excluding roaming).
- All T-Mobile and Metro by T-Mobile customers an additional 20GB of mobile hotspot/tethering service for the next 60 days coming soon.
- Starting Thursday, March 19, the carrier will offer free unlimited data for 60 days to all customers currently on any data plan, plus an additional 20GB of mobile hotspot data. Sprint soon plans to provide the same mobile hotspot data allowance to all customers with a hotspot-enabled device, whether or not they currently subscribe to a hotspot-included plan, though no date has yet been set for this rollout.
- To ensure full and reliable coverage, Sprint is also increasing its network capacity in high-use areas. Its 1Million Project school district participants, which receive 10GB of free high-speed wireless data per month, will get an additional 10GB of monthly data until June 30. Information on other Mobile Providers:
- While AT&T is providing unlimited home internet to current broadband customers, AT&T has yet to roll out similar unlimited data provisions for its wireless customers.
- Verizon will waive activation fees on new lines of service and upgrade fees starting March 18. This applies to all purchases and service-only activations made through Verizon digital channels, such as verizonwireless.com and the My Verizon app.