Shunburn: Stay Safe in the Sun
Shunburn: Stay safe in the sun (from Teenage Cancer Trust)
It’s the damage done to your skin when you’re young that could lead to skin cancer developing in later life, so it's vital to get clued up now and protect yourself from the sun.Love the sun, respect your skin by following our 5 simple steps
- Slap on SPF 30 sunscreen – Apply generous amounts of water resistant sunscreen of at least SPF30 and above, to clean, dry skin before going out in the sun. Make sure you re-apply regularly throughout the day.
- Wear a hat – Whether it's a stylish fedora, a trilby or a baseball cap, all can help to keep the heat off your head, face, neck and ears.
- Stay in the shade between 11am-3pm – When the sun's rays are strongest between 11am-3pm, find a shady spot to avoid the burn.
- Protect your eyes – Slip on those sunglasses to make sure your eyes are protected from the strong rays of the sun.
- Cover up – Throw on a long sleeved shirt or top that ideally has a collar and a sarong or long shorts to protect your skin.
Teenage Cancer Trust