PreAP English I Summer Reading
Hello Future Jaguar,
We look forward to having you as a student in PreAP English I at FM9. In preparation for the 2019-20 school year, you are required to complete a summer reading assignment. This year the assignment includes reading two books. One is a novel of your choice (see the guidelines below) and the other is a text to prepare you to analyze that novel using concepts from the book.
The primary goal is for students to enjoy reading this summer. Please read the directions and contact us with any questions. We hope that you have a safe, restful summer and that reading is a part of this summer’s enjoyment.
1. Purchase and read the book How to Read Literature Like a Professor: for Kids by Thomas C. Foster
ISBN: 978-0-06-220085-3 . Harper Collins Publishers
(Available at Barnes & Noble or Amazon)
2. Choose a novel to read using the following guidelines:
- Fiction novel
- Minimum of 300 pages
- Cannot have been read/taught in middle school
- Cannot be a book that has been made into a film/movie
- Cannot be a photo/graphic/picture book
- Cannot have been published prior to 2016
- Cannot be from the Percy Jackson/Rick Riordan or Harry Potter series or similar reading level
- Must have parents’ permission to read the novel
3. Bring both books on the first day of class J
4. Email Mrs. Baker if you have any questions about this assignment or the book you wish to read. (email@example.com)
5. Annotating is NOT REQUIRED but strongly suggested.
*Both books must be read by the first day of school, Tuesday, August 13, 2019.
Students should expect an assessment during the first two weeks of class over the novels.
Students who begin class in January will test in January.
WARNING: Do not procrastinate completing this assignment based on what your schedule indicates. Students who experience a schedule change from a spring class to a fall class will not receive extended time. Both books should be completed over the summer!