Degrees and Certifications:
Mrs. Lynne Coleman
My husband’s career in the hospitality industry has taken our family many places--15 interstate moves since college and teaching or volunteering in 11 school districts—so I was finally glad to find a professional home at Southridge! I’ve enjoyed 12 years here meeting new families and seeing young students thrive in our school community.
Growing up in Missouri, I participated in a variety of school activities and found satisfaction in music groups (band and choir) and in working with children. My education degree (The University of Memphis) included school music and special education, and I’ve taken extensive training in the Orff approach to elementary music education.
My goals for Southridge music students are to:
• help each child develop his/her best singing voice;
• teach the basics of music literacy so children may understand this unique language and have the tools to create their own work;
• provide opportunities for students to find enjoyment and purpose in making music individually and in a group;
• develop an appreciation for music as an art form;
• acquire critical listening skills; and
• practice communal social skills that will be useful in their lives.
Extra opportunities for musical involvement at Southridge:
• SHARPS--an afterschool performance group for 4th and 5th graders;
• the Festival of Music Listening Masters—a spring semester competition for students interested in deepening their understanding of classical music (3rd, 4th, 5th grades);
• beginning woodwind instruction (in class) on soprano recorders, an instrument that’s been played for 1000 years (4th and 5th grades);
• selection for area elementary choral events (auditioned, 5th graders): LISD Fifth Grade Honor Choir and Central Zone Choral Concert; and
• visits to live symphonic concerts: 3rd graders to the Lewisville Lake Symphony, and 4th graders to the Dallas Symphony Orchestra Youth Concert in conjunction with the Dallas Art Museum field trip.
As always, I enjoy working with your children. Together we grow!
CONTACT ME: firstname.lastname@example.org
Southridge: 469-948-7377 (music room)
Southridge (main): 469-713-5187