The Community Connections Grant is designated to fund classroom work that involves connecting students to the larger community, as a way to deepen standards based learning and promote active student engagement. As part of our cornerstone of Community Engagement, we seek to actively involve community partners on our campuses and in our work in order to benefit our students. We value our relationships and see our community as partners. This grant is open to professional employees who were hired in LISD during the 2019-2020 school year.
The July 2019 Community Connections event was setup to provide an opportunity for new-to-LISD professionals to connect with local community partners. Funds from the event will be utilized to award teacher grants for projects and initiatives that connect students to their community and provide opportunities for real world connections to content.
Grant requests should reflect LISD’s vision and mission and align with LISD’s Community Engagement Beliefs.
LISD Community Engagement Beliefs:
- We believe education is a shared responsibility between our district and the communities we serve.
- Community engagement is critical to the success of LISD.
- Through intentional strategic partnerships at the campus and district level, we can tap into the deep well of community support for LISD to forge stronger bonds with our stakeholders and develop relationships to benefit schools, local businesses and the community.
All of our students enjoy thriving, productive lives in a future they create.
Students, staff and community design and implement a learning organization that provides engaging, innovative experiences every day.
Funding, not otherwise available from district budgets for such projects, will be provided in the range of $100 to $1,000.
To receive funding, new-to-LISD professional employees must:
- Complete an application form. Provide all requested information.
- Detail a project/initiative that aligns classroom content with community partnerships/connections. Explain specific needs and outcomes.
- Detail a budget request for the grant. Budget requests must be made using approved LISD vendors. Click here for more information and a list of approved vendors.
- Applicants must discuss and receive approval of their grant idea from their campus principal and/or department head to ensure that the grant satisfies the instructional goals of the school or department.
Submission of Proposals: All proposal submissions must be received by May 8, 2020 by 4 p.m. Proposals will be accepted only using the online application submittal process.
Project Evaluation: All grant recipients will be required to complete a grant impact report by the end of the current funding year (May 2021). This form will be sent out individually to grant recipients.