Frequently Asked Questions
What are hardship days?
Hardship days are non-cumulative from year to year and will be paid at one-half of the employee's daily rate of pay for each day of hardship leave taken.
Important facts about hardship days:
Full time employees are eligible for up to 10 hardship days in any school year
- All available paid leave days have been exhausted including State, Local and Vacation
- A full time employee with at least 90 days of full time service
- Hardship days can be awarded in full or half day increments
- A hardship day is paid at one-half of the employee's daily rate for each day of of hardship leave
- 18 days must be worked in the school year before hardship days can be paid
- Hardship paperwork must be submitted within 60 days from the date of the absence
For what reasons can I apply for hardship?
- Your health issue
- For the health issues of a spouse/parent/child
- For bereavement of a spouse/parent/child
Who is the contact person for hardship?
Cindy Smith in the Benefits Office processes hardship requests. She can be reached at 469-948-8104 or at Smithcl@lisd.net. Her fax number is 972-350-9358.
How do I apply for hardship days?
Complete a Hardship Leave form and send it to Cindy Smith in the Benefits Office along with documentation for the absence. Acceptable documentation is a doctor note or proof of a doctor appointment or test. The form can be found here.
How much will be deducted each day?One-half of the employee's daily rate of pay for each day of hardship leave taken.