High School Credit By Exam for Advancement Grades 9-12
- Secondary Parent Letter
- Math Texas Tech Letter
- LOTE Parent Letter
Credit By Examination Without Prior Instruction
High school students who wish to earn credit for a course in which they have had no prior formal instruction may test through credit by exam. Students must demonstrate 80% or higher mastery on the exam in order to earn credit. Students are encouraged to review the course objectives and exam specifications provided in the subject links listed below.
Requests to test are available from the school counselor and must be returned to the counselor for processing. The application deadlines are listed on the Test Calendar. Parents should be aware that there are no exceptions available for students to test at other times and should plan summer vacation schedules accordingly.
There is no charge for acceleration testing for Lewisville ISD students. The results will be available in Skyward Family access 4-5 weeks after the date the test was administered. No information on the test results can be provided over the telephone or by email because of privacy laws.
Credit By Examination With Prior Instruction
- To participate in the Credit-by-Exam with prior instruction, the student must have been enrolled in a formal course as evidenced by:
- A transcript from an accredited or non-accredited institution or
- Other documentation that establishes evidence of a formal course
- A syllabus listing daily assignments
- An explanation of the time parameters of the course
- Documentation of the student’s performance throughout the course
- Documentation of alignments to the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills
- The student scores 70% or above on the Credit-by-Exam assessment administered.
- There is a fee of $40.00 per test for credit by exam with prior instruction.
How to Apply
- The application must be made through the school counselor.
- Students may complete applications any time during the year, but must meet the application deadlines established for each testing session. CBE Deadlines are listed below.
- Parents should carefully read through the 2018-2019 Parent Letter for additional information about the CBE Process.
Students who apply for Credit By Examination are strongly encouraged to begin preparing for the exams as soon as possible. Students need to apply for Credit By Examination as soon as they are aware of the need or desire to test because they may need to know the results in time to make other plans to earn the credit if they are not successful on the Credit By Exam. Students who need to test several courses are encouraged to begin testing with core subjects such as English and Mathematics.
Students who are new to Lewisville ISD may test over the summer prior to starting their first year in LISD. They must first register at their new school and be assigned a LISD ID number. Students who are new to LISD and test during the summer will not receive score reports until the school year has begun and the student is attending a LISD school.
All tests are provided through Texas Tech University. You may access study guides at click here.
Students may take a Credit by Exam for acceleration purposes during any of the four testing periods. However, the following restrictions apply:
- Placement in a new course will only occur at the start of a school year (or semester for semester courses) regardless of when a CBE for acceleration is taken
- Students may only attempt acceleration two times for the same course
Application Deadlines and Testing Information
School Year Quarters Date Deadline Status Location Notes 2018-19 Jul.-Sept. Aug. 3-24, 2018 Aug. 3, 2018 CLOSED Home Campus Students enrolled in Geometry, may take Algebra II 2018-19 Oct.-Dec. Oct. 12-Nov. 9, 2018 Oct. 12, 2018 OPEN Home Campus Students enrolled in Geometry, may take Algebra II