Parent and Family Engagement Policy – Lakeview MS
In order to promote a partnership between the home and the school for improving the education of students participating in the federally funded Title I program, Lakeview Middle School will implement programs, activities, and procedures for the involvement of parents and families.
PART I. GENERAL EXPECTATIONS FROM FEDERAL LAW
Lakeview Middle School agrees to implement the following statutory requirements:
- Will develop a written parental involvement policy as required by federal law.
- Schools will notify parents of the policy in an understandable and uniform format and, to the extent practicable, in a language the parents can understand. The policy will be made available to the local community and updated periodically to meet the changing needs of parents and the school.
- In carrying out the Title I, Part A, parental involvement requirements, to the extent practicable, the school will provide full opportunities for the participation of parents with limited English proficiency, parents with disabilities, and parents of migratory children, including providing information and school reports required by federal law in an understandable and uniform format and including alternative formats upon request and, to the extent practicable, in language parents understand.
- If the school-wide program plan for Title I, Part A, developed is not satisfactory to the parents of participating children, the school will submit any parent comments with the plan when the school submits the plan to Lewisville ISD.
- The school will build its own parent involvement policy and the parent’s capacity for strong parental involvement, in order to ensure effective involvement of parents and to support a partnership among the school, parents, and the community to improve student academic achievement.
- The school will provide other reasonable support for parental involvement activities as the parents may request.
- The school will be governed by the following statutory definition of parental involvement and will carry out programs, activities, and procedures in accordance with this definition:
Parental involvement means the participation of parents in regular, two-way, and meaningful communication involving student academic learning and other school activities, including ensuring—
(A) That parents play an integral role in assisting their child’s learning;
(B) That parents are encouraged to be actively involved in their child’s education at school;
(C) That parents are full partners in their child’s education and are included, as appropriate, in decision-making and on advisory committees to assist in the education of their child;
(D) The carrying out of other activities, such as those described in federal law
PART II. DESCRIPTION OF HOW SCHOOLS WILL IMPLEMENT REQUIRED SCHOOL PARENTAL INVOLVEMENT POLICY COMPONENTS
- Lakeview Middle School will take the following actions to involve parents in the joint development of its school parental involvement plan: include parents on the BLT committee to approve the plan; share plan at Open House in Spring for parent review.
- Lakeview Middle School will take the following actions to involve parents in the process of school review and improvement under: include parents in the campus building leadership team; utilize parent input through survey responses.
- Lakeview Middle School will hold an annual meeting to inform parents of the school’s participation in Title I, Part A programs, and to explain the Title I, Part A requirements and the right of parents to be involved in Title I, Part A programs. The school will convene the meeting at a time convenient for parents and will offer a flexible number of additional parental involvement meetings, such as in the morning or evening, so that as many parents as possible are able to attend. The school will invite all parents of children participating in Title I, Part A programs to this meeting, and will encourage them to attend by: utilizing the campus website, callouts, and school calendar to communicate these opportunities. Attach the annual meeting to Spring Open House to encourage participation.
- Lakeview Middle School will provide parents of participating children information in a timely manner about Title I, Part A programs that includes a description and explanation of the school’s curriculum, the forms of academic assessment used to measure children’s progress, and the proficiency levels students are expected to meet by: utilizing the campus and district website; counselors providing parent nights.
- Lakeview Middle School will, at the request of parents, provide opportunities for regular meetings for parents to formulate suggestions and to participate, as appropriate, in decisions about the education of their children. The school will respond to any such suggestions as soon as practicably possible by: scheduling conferences; invite parents to participate in BLT and PTA.
- Lakeview Middle School will provide each parent an individual student report about the performance of their child on the State assessment in at least math, language arts and reading by: sending home the confidential score reports when received from TEA.
- Lakeview Middle School will take the following actions to provide each parent timely notice when their child has been assigned or has been taught for four (4) or more consecutive weeks by a teacher who is not highly qualified within the meaning of the term in section 200.56 of the Title I Final Regulations (67 Fed. Reg. 71710, December 2, 2002). LISD Human Resources will provide parents with this notification in these circumstances.
- Lakeview Middle School will provide assistance to parents of children served by the school, as appropriate, in understanding topics by undertaking the actions described in this paragraph --
- the state’s academic content standards,
- the state’s student academic achievement standards,
- the state and local academic assessments including alternate assessments,
- how to monitor their child’s progress, and
- how to partner with teachers and campus staff:
Have counselors coordinate parent activities and conferences; coordinate with district for parent opportunities.
- Lakeview Middle School will provide materials and training to help parents work with their children to improve their children’s academic achievement, such as literacy training and using technology, as appropriate, to foster parental involvement, by: coordinating and scheduling activities at various times through counselors.
- Lakeview Middle School will, with the assistance of its parents, educate its teachers, pupil services personnel, principals and other staff in how to reach out to, communicate with, and work with parents as equal partners in the value and utility of contributions of parents, and in how to implement and coordinate parent programs and build ties between parents and schools by: conducting surveys of parents to gather this information.
- Lakeview Middle School will take the following actions to ensure that information related to the school and parent-programs, meetings, and other activities is sent to parents of participating children in an understandable and uniform format, including alternative formats upon request, and, to the extent practicable, in a language the parents can understand: utilizing campus and district translation services as needed.
PART III. ADOPTION
This School Parental Involvement Policy has been developed jointly with, and agreed on with, parents of children participating in Title I, Part A programs, as evidenced by the 2020 Fall Coffee Talk Minutes.
This policy was adopted by the Lakeview Middle School Building Leadership Team on October 23, 2020, and will be in effect for the period of 2020-2021. The school will distribute this policy to all parents of participating Title I, Part A children on or before date
October 30, 2020.