- When a child is absent from school, parents should call or email the appropriate attendance clerk on the morning of the absence so that they do not receive the automated absence alert from the district. For auditing purposes, each student is required to turn in a note explaining the absence within three days of returning to school. This note must be signed by the parent and should be turned in to the appropriate attendance clerk. For convenience, the note may also be faxed to 972-350-9243.
- If a student needs to leave early for an appointment, he/she should turn in a signed parent note to the appropriate attendance clerk before school so that he/she can be given an Off Campus Pass in advance. If leaving during PE/Athletics, please consider time needed to change clothes and adjust the check-out time accordingly. Students leaving early are required to sign out with their attendance clerk. Failure to do so will result in disciplinary consequences.
- If there is an unexpected need for a student to leave school, the parent will be required to come in and sign the green sheet in the front office. The attendance clerk will need time to send for the student. Calling ahead can speed up the process, especially if the student is in PE/Athletics or at lunch. Students leaving early are required to sign out with their attendance clerk. Failure to do so will result in disciplinary consequences.
- All day medical absences, checking out through the nurse, and funeral absences will count toward the 90% compulsory attendance rule. Students are still required to submit proper documentation within three days of return.
- Partial day medical absences (student attends school and visits a health care professional in the same day – doctor, dentist, orthodontist, etc.) with proper documentation submitted within three days of return will not count toward the 90% compulsory attendance rule.
- Notes from medical professionals must include the return date. Open notes (may return when symptoms improve, etc.) are not accepted. Students are required to turn in medical notes to the appropriate attendance clerk within three days of returning to school.
- Students may be granted a maximum of five pre-planned absences per school year (vacation, family reunion, etc.). Parents should contact the appropriate attendance clerk for the procedure.
- Students and parents wishing to request homework for absences should communicate directly with the teacher(s).
- Students arriving late for any class period are required to sign in with their attendance clerk and get a tardy pass. Failure to do so will result in disciplinary consequences.
College Visits (Juniors & Seniors Only):
- Students should make the appropriate attendance clerk aware of an intended college visit via a parent note or parent phone call. Either is acceptable.
- Students should return to school with an official college school excuse stating that the student was at the college on the specified day. The absence will be excused and will not be counted against the student’s attendance as long as the student provides the documentation within three days of returning to school. Failure to provide the documentation will result in the absence being counted against the student’s attendance. The absence will be excused with a signed parent note.
Please refer to the Student Handbook for a complete list of attendance rules and guidelines.