Welcome to Gifted Education in Lewisville Independent School District
Deborah A. Roby, Supervisor of Elementary Gifted and Talented
Gifted Education K-5
Sharon Nobis, Supervisor of Secondary Gifted and Talented
Gifted Education 6-12
Sharon Pennington, Administrative Secretary
At LISD, we believe every student has the right to an academically challenging education in a nurturing and innovative learning environment. We are dedicated to developing the intellectual potential in all students and meeting the unique educational, social, and emotional needs of our identified Gifted and Talented students through a range of services designed to foster independent, life long learning.
For information concerning the GT Department, please email: email@example.com
Gifted and Talented Goals and Objectives
Texas State Plan for the Education of Gifted and Talented
In 1990, the State Plan for the Education of Gifted/Talented Students was adopted by the Texas State Board of Education and revised in 2009. The most significant revision was very simple. Instead of qualifying students for a GT Program, students now qualify for GT Services. The State Plan forms the basis of GT services and accountability in LISD.
State Goal for Gifted/Talented Student Services
Students who participate in services designed for gifted/talented students will demonstrate skills in self-directed learning, thinking, research, and communications as evidenced by the development of innovative products and performances that reflect individuality and creativity and are advanced in relation to students of similar age, experience, or environment.
LISD Gifted and Talented Mission
Through the establishment of secure and free learning environments, LISD GT students continuously seek out challenges to:
1. Promote scholarly behaviors that discover, develop and leverage capacity
2. Effectively communicate and collaborate
3. Foster critical thinking by manipulating abstract ideas and making deep connections
4. Promote creativity and innovation
5. Develop self awareness and social consciousness
LISD GT Goals and Objectives
The Gifted student will:
• Become aware of his or her own unique potential and leaning style in order to develop these abilities for the betterment of self and society.
• Utilize higher level thinking skills to develop intellectual curiosity in critical, creative and productive thinking.
• Understand and apply the problem-solving process in a cooperative group setting through analysis and evaluation of a real life situation.
• Develop reference skills for using multiple concepts and resources in synthesizing an advanced product.
Our Guiding Documents for the Gifted and Talented Program in LISD are available and attached below.